The strength of your immune system is tested in winter. According to Chinese medicine this is because our immune system requires heat (yang energy) to circulate between our skin and muscles but in winter our yang energy retreats inwards to protect our organs. Check out the checklist below to learn the Chinese medicine method of strengthening the immune system.
1) Stock up on these immune stimulating foods
- Stimulate your immune system with garlic, onion, spring onion, turmeric, ginger, reishi and shitake mushrooms, oysters, herring, beef, liver and pumpkin seeds
- Nourish yourself with broths, stews and warm meals made with whole foods while avoiding salads and raw vegetables
- Eat adequate protein because it is broken down into tiny particles called amino acids, which are the building blocks of the immune system. Protein from the diet is transformed into antibodies that travel in the blood stream and attach themselves to viruses, bacteria and toxic particles marking the little invaders for destruction and elimination by white blood cells.
2) Stay active and keep your Chi moving
In Chinese medicine your immune system is known as 'Defensive Chi' which circulates the outer regions of your body where it is constantly moving and fighting for your health. This movement requires exercise and activity to keep the Chi strong and energetic. But remember that over- training will only draw energy towards your muscles and away from your defensive Chi so keep your exercise moderate in intensity during winter.
3) Regular herbs, acupuncture and cupping
Acupuncture, herbal medicine and cupping are effective ways to enhance your Chi and blood flow in order to stimulate immune function. Your Chinese medicine practitioner can supply you with herbs to strengthen your immune system and fight off a cold.
4) Steer clear of refined sugar and dairy products
In Chinese medicine sugar and dairy create “dampness” which impedes the energy and movement of your Defensive
Chi. Dampness also impairs the ability of your digestive system to utilise nutrients for immunity and other important physiological functions. Dairy and sugar create inflammation and are mucous forming making it easier for infections to enter your nose and get stuck in your sinuses and lungs where they multiply and make you feel generally miserable. Avoiding excessive consumption of these foods will protect you from such misery.
5) Express forgiveness and gratitude daily
Anger and resentment prevent Defensive Chi from circulating freely. When you express genuine forgiveness towards those you resent and gratitude for the blessings you have in life you are genuinely contributing to your good health. Forgiveness and gratitude boost the quality and movement of your Chi while dissipating stress, which is a major contributor to a weakened immune system.
Connect with me on Facebook to continue the discussion or to leave your own immune strengthening tips. I would love to hear from you!
To work with me on strengthening your immune system call me on 0418 527 417 or leave your details here to request an appointment.